≡ Menu

Tongue Splitter American Pale Ale

I try to buy all of my ingredients locally.  I have a great LHBS, and I make a point to see that they get as much of my money as I can spend there.  However, I had an item that I wanted to order from Northern Brewer, so I decided to pick up a couple of All-Grain kids to round out my order.  They have some great prices, and for a ultra hoppy beer like this one, it’s a lot cheaper to buy the hops pre-measured than buy 2 oz of each variety.  I purchased the Tongue Splitter and Scottish 60/- kits.  The Scottish is the batch that follows this one.   I’d also wanted to make some ‘lighter’ beers for Summer, so both of these batches tend to be a little lower alcohol than most I have made.

Ingredients:  Tongue Splitter APA

All-Grain Recipe

  • 8 lb American 2-row
  • .5 lb Caramel Pils
  • .5 lb CaraMalt

Hop Additions

  • .5 Summit (18.5%) – added during boil, boiled 60 min
  • 1 oz Glacier (5.6%) – added during boil, boiled 15 min
  • 1 oz Cascade (6.0%) – added during boil, boiled 2 min
  • .5 oz Liberty (4.0%) – added during boil, boiled 2 min
  • .5 oz Cascade (6.0%) – in Secondary for 1 week
  • .5 oz Liberty (4.0%) – in Secondary for 1 week

Yeast

  • Fermentis Safbrew S-33

Additional Details / Notes

  • SG ~1.044 / FG 1.013 / Second FG 1.080 – additional fermentation in secondary
  • 4.81% ABV
  • Brewed 05/07/11, Secondary 05/22/2011, Bottled 06/04/11
  • Fermentation temps:  ~64° in Primary, ~70° Secondary

Brewing the TS American Pale Ale

Hot Break

This batch was a pretty easy one to create.  The hops are all pre-measured, and the grains were already crushed.  I started the mash as usual.  I warmed 5 gallons of water at a 3/2 jug to tap ratio.  Warmed the water to 167°, and used 2.8 gallons, which put the grains at 156°.  I cooled that with ice to get it to 152°, then let that work it’s magic for an hour.  Toward the end of the hour, I recirculated 1 gallon of the runoff, pouring it back over the grain bed.  Then I sparged at 170° for about an hour, draining 6.5 gallons (a bit more than I meant to drain).

I got the wort to a boil after about 20 minutes, and started my hop clock.  I currently let the boil run for about 30 minutes before starting my hop clock, but didn’t do that on this batch.  The hop additions were nice, because this kit had everything already measured out.  At the end of the boil, I cooled with my wort chiller, then strained in to my fermentation bucket.  At this point I pumped in about 30 seconds of oxygen.  Next up, time to sprinkle on the yeast!

Boiling the Wort Chiller

This batched used a yeast I’ve never used before, a Safbrew S-33. Described as a “very popular general purpose yeast, displaying both very robust conservation properties and consistent performance. This yeast produces superb flavour profiles and is used for the production of a varied range of top fermented special beers (Belgian type wheat beers, Trappist, etc.).”

I let the yeast soak for about 10 minutes, then gave it a good stir and capped it for 2 weeks, at which time I racked it over to the secondary.  This is where things get goofy…  When I racked everything over the FG was 1.013 – exactly where I expected it to be.  The beer had an amazing flavor, and I was REALLY excited to get this one to the bottle.  I left it in the secondary for one week before it was time to dry hop.  Over the course of that week, it appeared to be fermenting a bit.  The top foamed up a fair amount, and things appeared to be happening.  Either way, I added my hops and let it sit for another week.

Dry Hopping

When it came time to bottle, I measured the FG, and it had changed… quite a bit.  I went from 1.013 to 1.080.  The flavor was okay, but nowhere near as nice as it had been 2 weeks prior.  The thin bodied base had taken on a bit of a fusil character.  Not bad, but not smooth like it had been.  Over time, this beer ended up taking on the classic “green apple” flavor, which is often due to poor sanitization.  It would appear something wasn’t clean when I racked to the secondary.  Damn.

Drinking the Tongue Splitter APA

As I mentioned already, this beer was great, then less great.  Looking past the fermentation issues, the flavor on this one is GREAT.  I tend to lean toward lighter bodied ales, and this is exactly that.  The mixture of hops is really nice.  It’s very hoppy, but the flavors balance out really nicely.  I can’t really speak to the yeast I used, as I don’t blame it for my issues.  I ended up using it for my upcoming Scottish 60, and for my “Scraps” IPA.  In the end, it’s not my favorite yeast, but i worked okay.

I may have missed the mark on this batch, but it is a recipe I’ll attempt again.  I loved the hop combination, and the light body was really nice.  Worth brewing, just sanitize your equipment properly!

{ 0 comments }

Leave a Comment