The “Scraps” English IPA
After brewing a bunch of non-kit batches, I’d started to accumulate a pile of hops and crystal grains. It was time to get some of them used up! I like to use yeast 3 times, if possible, and the third round on my S-33 seemed like as good a time as any to make a ‘kitchen sink’ beer.
Upon further review of my hops, I had a pretty random assortment, but I figured it was worth a try, anyway. I picked a pretty standard grain bill, with mostly American 2 Row and 10L & 80L. I’d originally set out to make an IPA, but upon tasting the beer, it was a lot fuller bodied, with caramel and toffee notes, and barely citrus hopped. Even more, it fits the style of an English IPA better in Beer Tools. Also, calling it an IPA gave people the impression it was a bad beer, but adding the word “English” in front of it confused people enough to take it at face value. Nothing wrong with a little B.S. from time to time, right?
Ingredients: “Scraps” English IPA
- 10 lbs American 2-row
- 4 oz Crystal 80L
- 1 lb Crystal 10L
- 1 tablet Whirfloc
- .5 oz Simcoe (12.2%) – added during boil, boiled 60 min
- .1 oz Chinook (11.9%) – added during boil, boiled 60 min
- .8 oz Willamette (4.7%) – added during boil, boiled 60 min
- .5 oz Northern Brewer (7.5%) – added during boil, boiled 5 min
- .3 oz Amarillo (8.5%) – added during boil, boiled 5 min
Additional Details / Notes
- SG ~1.057 / FG 1.012 / Secondary FG 1.012
- 5.81% ABV
- Brewed 06/04/11, Secondary 06/19/2011, Bottled 06/27/11
- Fermentation temps: ~60° ambient Primary, ~75° Secondary
Brewing the Scraps English IPA
Sometimes I take bad notes… this would have been one of those batches. Usually I scribble on my recipe, but since this was created in Beer Tools, and I didn’t bother to print it… I didn’t have anything to scribble on.
I have no idea what my mash temp was on this batch, but we can safely assume somewhere around 152°. If I wrote that down, I certainly can’t find it…
I was multitasking during the sparge, and let it go too long. I started my boil with 7 gallons, so I gave it a solid hour boil before I added any hops. You’ll notice my hop additions are really random. As I mentioned before, this batch was made in order to use up leftovers from other batches. A .1 oz addition of Chinook is silly, but it worked. I had intended to do more interesting hop additions, but I got distracted again, and grouped the 5 min additions together. The Hops and Whirlfloc were also added at 5min.
I racked my Scottish 60 while I cooled the Scraps Wort. I used a sanitized rag to wipe away the krausen, then strained the wort in to that same bucket. I gave it about 40 seconds of oxygen, then capped it. As was the theme of the day… I forgot to measure my SG. This happens to me a lot…
Drinking the Scraps IPA
By the time this brew was ready to drink, I didn’t hold very high expectations. I hadn’t had great success with the S-33 yeast on either of my previous efforts, and expected this to be a similar situation. I also had no idea what my random sampling of hops might do for the flavor of the beer.
In the end… meh. This beer is about as middle of the road as you can get. I suppose that should be a good thing, it’s certainly not bad, it’s just kind of boring. The hops ended up being pretty neutral, and balanced the beer nicely without adding much of their own flavors. The half pound of 80L was a bit much for my taste, but certainly not too strong. I’d like to describe the flavor of the yeast I don’t love, but I haven’t been able to pin it down. I haven’t been able to find great descriptions on this yeast aside from that it can be used in Belgian Ales, so I kind of feel like it has a Belgian quality to it… whatever that means.
If you like a darker bodied IPA, this base isn’t bad. The hop combo is nothing I’d repeat. The yeast… let’s just say I won’t be working with S-33 any time soon!