Batch 41 : Relocation Black IPA
Around February of 2012, I made the decision to leave MT and relocate to Portland, OR. I’d been brewing a LOT, and I’d finally shaken my contamination issues, so I wanted to get one last batch in before I left. Sometimes it’s good to dig up an old recipe that worked, which is what I decided to do for this batch. My original Black IPA is still one of the better beers I’ve ever produced, so I wanted to make something similar again.
I made a few small recipe changes, but can’t remember exactly why. Hard to say… Either way, this has a little more Chocolate Malt and less Carafa III than the first time around, and the Chinook was replaced with Warrior, which I probably had on had.
Ingredients: Relocation Black IPA
- 12 lbs. – American 2-row
- 8 oz. – Crystal 80
- 3 oz. – Carafa Type III
- 6 oz. – Chocolate Malt
- .5 oz. – Tomahawk (16.5%) – added during boil, boiled 60 min
- .3 oz. – Warrior (16%) – added during boil, boiled 60 min
- 1 oz. – Centennial (9%) – added during boil, boiled 10 min
- .8 oz. – Cascade (5%) – added during boil, boiled 6 min
- 1.1 oz. – Centennial (9%) – added end of boil
- Safale S-05 Dry Yeast
Additional Details / Notes
- OG 1.070 / TG 1.012
- 7.68% ABV | Color: 23.32 °SRM | 67 IBU’s
- Brewed 4/11/12, Kegged 04/28/12
- Mash Temp: ~153°, Thickness: 1.25 qt/g, Efficiency 80%
How to Make the Relocation Black IPA
Smooth brew day on this one. I hit my mash temp a little high, and stirred it down from 160° to settle in at 153°. For my strike water, I used a blend of tap and RO water (3 gal / 2 gal ). I used 4 gallons of that, then heated 5 additional gallons of RO to use for the sparge. I also added 1tsp of gypsum, as I was experimenting with my water.
I drained off 7 gallons before the boil, which is a little higher than I normally do, but I let it stay at a rapid boil for 30 minutes before starting any hop additions. One note about the hops, I used pellets for the Tomahawk and Warrior, but the Cascade and Centennial were grown in my garden. I got some great use out of those!
Once cooled, I strained the wort though a wire mesh strainer, added 50 seconds of Oxygen & 1/2 tsp of Yeast Nutrient, and pitched the Yeast at 69°. Very happy with the efficiency on this batch.
Drinking the Black IPA
FINALLY! Finally I made a good batch of beer! I already knew I liked this recipe, but it was great to finally make a batch without contamination (the first of many).
If you’re a fan of Black IPA’s (or CDAs, as they’re called here in Portland), this is a great recipe. As time goes on, I’m enjoying this style less and less, but this recipe is as close to what I once loved about them as anything I’ve drank. Not overly hoppy (but close), and a nice balance of coffee notes, without the two doing full on battle in your mouth. Smooth drinking and tasty. A nice Fall or Winter Ale.