Batch 39 : Crosstown Pale Clone
Back in January, I took a trip out to Portland, OR, where I was able to visit a bunch of breweries. One of my favorites was a place called Hopworks (HUB). While sitting at the bar, I was able to see the ingredient list for a beer that I absolutely loved, called Crosstown Pale Ale. I made several changes, based on items I had on had, and I totally guessed on all the ratios, but the end product was “inspired” by the Crosstown Pale.
Ingredients: Crosstown Pale Ale
- 9.5 lbs. – 2-row Pilsner Malt
- 9 oz. – Crystal 15
- 6 oz. – German CaraMunich
- 3 oz. – Crystal 60
- .5 oz. – Centennial (10%) – added during boil, boiled 60 min
- .6 oz. – Cascade (5%) – added during boil, boiled 30 min
- .6 oz. – Centennial (10%) – added during boil, boiled 10 min
- .5 oz. – Cascade (5%) – added during boil, boiled 0 min
- .3 oz. – Centennial (10%) – added during boil, boiled 0 min
- Safale S-05 Dry Yeast
Additional Details / Notes
- SG 1.053 / FG 1.009
- 5.78% ABV | Color: 9.53 °SRM | 35.8 IBU’s
- Brewed 2/11/12, Bottled 02/25/2012 (no secondary)
- Temps: ~153° Mash, ~65° in Primary
Brewing Pale Ale
Due to a recent move, I’m waaaaaay behind on my last few batches. I have to work from memory and my notes, so this one will be shorter than usual. For this batch, I played a bit with my mash water. I used 1 gal. tap water and 4 gal. RO with 1stp (.1 0z) gypsum added. I added 3.8 gallons of this water to the grains for my mash, settling in at a temp of 153.3°. Over the course of this hour long mash, I heated the sparge water, which was composed of 1 gal. tap water + 3 gal. RO + 1 gal. of leftover mash water. I heated the sparge water to about 166° for the HLT.
After getting to brew at a real brewery in January, I had learned the power of the vorlauf. I think this was the first batch where I really paid attention to it. I recirculated 3 gallons of the wort (1 gal. at a time) back over the mashed grains. I’d always done one or two, but the third is where you really see a difference in the clarity of the wort. Doing the vorlauf serves to set the grain bed and provide much better filtration.
I ran off 7 gallons of wort in to my brew pot. Boiled for about 30 minutes before beginning my hop additions. Ended with ~6 gallons of wort in the kettle, which was cooled and strained in to the ferm bucket. 30 seconds of oxygen were infused, and dry yeast was sprinkled on top. 24 hours later, decent rolling bubble in the airlock at 65°.
I wanted to see how quick I could go from brew to keg on this batch. I kegged the entire batch, doing so only 2 weeks from the brew date, and force carbing for a party I was having.
Drinking the Pale Ale
First off, 2 weeks wasn’t enough time to age this one. As I had used hops grown in my garden, the beer needed some extra time to mellow. For whatever reason, my garden hops generally have a pronounced tangy flavor that ages out after a month or so. This batch was super tangy and sweet upon first drink. It was green beer, and tasted like green beer. No real shock.
As time progressed, this turned out to be a pretty nice beer. There’s nothing super about it, but it was a fine, if a little boring Pale Ale. The pilsner malt gives a nice sweetness that I like over regular 2-row. Beyond that… I don’t really remember much about this beer. Ha! That’s what I get for waiting so long to do the write up…