Batch 40 : C-Bomb Pale Ale
Sometimes you end up with a bunch of leftover hops. That was the case when it came time to brew this beer. Ultimately, this is the same receipe as I had used for the Crosstown Pale that’d I’d made, but with modifications based on existing materials. I needed to get rid of some hops, so I wanted to go kinda hop heavy, too.
The name for this one comes from all of the “C” hops used.
Ingredients: C-Bomb Pale Ale
- 9 lbs. – German 2-row Pilsner Malt
- 7 oz. – Crystal 15
- 6 oz. – German CaraMunich
- 5 oz. – Crystal 60
- .4 oz. – Columbus (13.9%) – added during boil, boiled 60 min
- .4 oz. – Chinook (11.2%) – added during boil, boiled 30 min
- .4 oz. – Centennial (8.7%) – added during boil, boiled 10 min
- .3 oz. – Columbus (13.9%) – added end of boil
- .5 oz. – Chinook (11.2%) – added end of boil
- .6 oz. – Cascade (5%) – added end of boil
- Safale S-05 Dry Yeast – reused from Crosstown Pale Clone
Additional Details / Notes
- SG 1.056 / FG 1.009
- 6.05% ABV | Color: 10.79 °SRM | 38.1 IBU’s
- Brewed 2/25/12, Secondary 03/11/12, Bottled 03/18/12
- Temps: ~153° Mash, ~65° in Primary
Brewing C-Bomb Pale Ale
The brew day on this one went pretty straightforward. I had mashed in at 165°, then cooled a little too quick, so added hot water to get to 153°. This made the mash pretty watery to about 1.4 qt/lb, but it was okay. As I’d recently started doing, I did a 3 gallon vorlauf after the 60 minute mash (recirculate the wort one gallon at a time through the grain bed until wort draws clearer). Drew about 7 gallons to boil.
Once the wort came to a boil, I let that run for about 30 mintues before I started my hop additions.
After the completion of the boil, I ran the wort chiller for about 30 minutes, then added 1/2 tsp of yeast nutrient and 35 seconds of oxygen. I strained the boiled wort in to the fermenting bucket that had just contained my previous batch, so the yeast cake was good and fresh.
For some reason my efficiency on this batch was crazy high, which probably means one of my grain measurements is off, but close enough. After 2 weeks in the primary, I racked to the secondary. At this point, the batch was GREAT. As has been my M.O., that didn’t hold.
The first week after this went in to the bottles and keg it was great, then that damn contamination set it…
Drinking the Pale Ale
What was probably a great batch was yet again ruined by my contamination issues. I think this was the last batch that went bad. Either way, I had plenty of able drinkers to take care of this less-than-perfect Ale. Ultimately, the contamination just made the beer extra dry and over carbonated. Not the end of the world. Would love to revisit this recipe someday.