I apologize, I didn’t take great notes during this batch — it was before I’d decided to start the homebrewing blog!
I used a Brewer’s Best Weizenbeer kit. Followed the kit instructions. In general, I was MUCH better prepared than I’d been for my first batch of beer. I’d purchased new hoses to replace my old ones, I knew the process better, and everything was much more sanitary.
Process & Issues
Of course I still ran in to a few problems…
Boiling. The boil went on a little long because the pot lost contact with the heat element at one point. The wort cooled during that period, then we may have overheated it bringing it back up. I also wonder if we had the wort boiling a little hotter than we needed to be. Other than that, the boil went pretty smooth.
Fermenting. I fermented for 7 days. The instructions said 7, so it seemed like enough, and the fermenting bucket had quit bubbling. Not sure that 7 days was long enough, though. I should have let it go longer.
Results and Thoughts
Final product is a little sweet, and has a tinge of banana flavor. Not bad, but not great either. The guy at the shop said that the kit I used tends to be a little sweet. A little research found that boiling the wort too hot can make some of the sugars non-fermentable. I think that’s what happened.
** Update** After sitting for a couple of months, the beers is MUCH better. The sweetness and slight banana flavor have mostly mellowed, especially the banana flavor. Add in an orange wedge, and you’ve got a pretty decent beer!
I’m actually not a fan of Wheat beers, so I don’t really like it – but those who are have told me it’s great. Take that for what you will!